Employer Input Session: Developing our Skilled Trades Workforce
Thursday, October 28, 2021 (12:00 PM - 1:15 PM) (EDT)
What: "Employer Input Session: Developing our Skilled Trades Workforce"
When: There are two identical 75-minute input sessions to ensure maximum employer engagement. The sessions are:
- Session Option #1: Thursday, October 28, 2021 from 12:00pm-1:15pm
- Session Option #2: Friday, October 29, 2021 from 8:15am-9:30am
Why: The purpose of the virtual input sessions is two-fold:
- To provide skilled trades employers timely information on the many important initiatives underway to build a regional skilled trades talent pipeline
- To secure employer input to help shape the design and next steps of these efforts
Where: Via zoom (All registrants will receive the zoom link prior to the convening)
- Hosts: This convening is hosted by organizations and working groups dedicated to improving the regional talent pipeline and include representatives from the Home Builders of Durham, Orange, and Chatham Counties (HBA), The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro, The Chatham Chamber of Commerce, Hope Renovations, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (CHCCS), Orange County Schools (OCS), Chapel Hill Town Council and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board, Durham Public Schools, Durham Technical Community College (DT), Central Carolina Community College (CCCC).
- Participants: The target audience includes employers who hire workers in the skilled trades, such as small, midsize, and large businesses, government and education agencies, and nonprofit organizations (i.e., employers with jobs in the Construction industry, such as Carpenters, Inspectors, Equipment Operators, Electricians, Installers, Painters, and Plumbers; as well as employers with jobs in the "Installation, Maintenance, and Repair" industry such as HVAC Mechanics and Installers).
- (5 minutes) Welcome and Opening Remarks
- (20 minutes) Briefings from Skilled Trades Talent Pipeline Initiatives
- Summer Careers Academy, a new pre-apprenticeship program for Chapel Hill-Carrboro/Orange County youth launching Summer 2022
- Central Carolina Community College and Durham Technical Community College partnerships
- Hope Renovations
- Durham WayMakers
- (45 minutes) Employer Feedback (~1 minute per employer)
- (5 minutes) Closing Remarks and Next Steps
References: This collaboration was inspired in large part by the findings from the Skilled Construction Trades Study (press release featuring key findings), which was commissioned by the Orange County Board of Commissioners, funded by the Orange County Government, and conducted by The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
Contact: For questions, contact Katie Loovis, Vice President of External Affairs, The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro, (919) 696-0781 (cell) or KLoovis@carolinachamber.org.
Programs and Networks
Critical Issues Series
Quarterly Policy Forums
This series of quarterly forums connects Chamber members with influential guest speakers who address timely topics for Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro and share critical insights related to the economy; economic, workforce, and community development; local elections; and policy and legislative matters that matter to the local business community.
Chapel Hill Young Professionals
Under 40 Monthly Networking
CHYP pronounced "chip" is a group of fun professionals under 40 that meets the first Tuesday of each month for networking, professional development and community service.
Quarterly Socials & Luncheons
Our Chamber's strong group of professional women gather quarterly for networking and learning opportunities. Sponsored by The Women of State Farm.
Celebrations of New Business Openings, Anniversaries, and Milestones.
Celebrations and acknowledgement of special milestones for new and existing Chamber member businesses.
Annual Signature Events
Friday, February 3, 2023
Come celebrate the successes of our business community from 2022 and get a preview of the exciting developments for 2023. This annual gathering of business and community leaders is a wonderful way to connect and get inspired for the future.