Introducing the #CarrboroCheer Gift Guide
Introducing the #CarrboroCheer Gift Guide
Carrboro Business Alliance kicks off #CarrboroCheer on #SmallBizSat and launches the Gift Guide to make it easy and fun to #BuyLocal this holiday season.
Carrboro, NC: Today, the Carrboro Business Alliance (CBA) launched the new Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide (CarrboroCheer.com), which showcases more than 70 curated, local Carrboro gift ideas for the holiday shopping season. The Gift Guide is part of Carrboro Cheer, an annual #BuyLocal holiday initiative coordinated by the CBA and presented by Carr Mill Mall with additional support from the Carrboro Tourism Development Authority (VisitCarrboro.com).
“The Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide makes it fun and easy for shoppers to knock out their entire holiday shopping list in one local Carrboro swoop,” said Bridget Pemberton-Smith, Chair of the Carrboro Business Alliance Marketing Committee and Executive Director of the Art Therapy Institute.
Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide
The Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide, now in its second year, showcases more than 70 curated Carrboro gift ideas with safe purchasing options and quick delivery details. There are nine gift categories in the 2021 Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide (listed below) and the asterisk (*) signals a gift from a BIPOC-owned or managed business.
- Uniquely Carrboro, which features Carrboro-branded gift options, such as the signature, scratch-made Chipotle Salsa sold by the jar from Carrburritos Taqueria and the Winter Solstice Blend from Carrboro Coffee Roasters.
- One-Click Wonders, which features Carrboro gifts available for safe and easy online purchase, such as the Playful Holiday Gnome from WomenCraft Gifts.
- Gifts around $20, which features affordable treasures, such as candles made by BIPOC-owned businesses* and sold in the gift shop at Weaver Street Market.
- Gifts to Savor, which features flavorful gifts of Carrboro, including food, beer, and wine, such as the local favorite: Neal’s Nuts from Neal’s Deli.
- Gifts to Delight, which features gifts that spark joy, such as the opportunity to commission a one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry from Ring’s True in Carr Mill Mall.
- Gifts to Experience, which features “feel free” Carrboro experiences that can be gifted, such as a pottery or painting class from The ArtsCenter and an overnight stay in the Hampton Inn & Suites* in Downtown Carrboro.
- Gifts for Learning, which features opportunities to master the art of cooking, home renovation, and more. Consider gifting one-month tuition for a child in your life to enjoy after-school math and reading programs at Kumon of Carrboro*.
- Gifts for Kids, which features ways to bring Carrboro Cheer to the youngsters on your list, such as with the KidzLabs Magic Kit from Ali Cat Toys in Carr Mill Mall.
- Gifts to Surprise, which features gifts from the practical to the sublime, such as the 10-Wash Punch Card from Carolina Car Wash* and a 90-minute private float session in the salt tank at Arete.
All local Carrboro businesses were invited to include a gift idea into the Gift Guide. Find and support more BIPOC businesses on the Town-managed Buy BIPOC Listing.
Small Business Saturday Swag Bags
Small Business Saturday (#SmallBizSat) is an annual holiday shopping tradition and part of the larger #ShopSmall Movement to support small businesses every day and everywhere. Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle proclaimed Saturday, November 27, 2021 as Small Business Saturday and local business owner, Scott Connary of Carrboro Coffee Roasters and Open Eye Café, received the proclamation and reminded everyone to #BuyLocal and make a big difference.
The CBA is recognized as a Small Business Saturday Neighborhood Champion for outstanding efforts to bring the community together with events and activities on Small Business Saturday and throughout the year. Again, this year, the CBA will host a #BuyLocal booth at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market on Small Business Saturday from 9-10am and distribute and 150 complimentary #BuyLocal Swag Bags (while supplies last). This is open to the public and all masked-up guests are welcome.
The 2021 #BuyLocal Swag Bags include:
- Handmade Molasses Ginger Cookies from Neal’s Deli.
- Handmade soaps from WomanCraft Gifts.
- Coupons from Weaver Street Market, Open Eye Café, Carrboro Coffee Roasters, and The ArtsCenter.
- Copies of the Visitors Relocation Guide and the new map of Carrboro and Chapel Hill from The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
- Small Business Saturday stickers, face coverings, and reusable bags from the American Express-powered #ShopSmall movement.
- Signature #BuyLocal canvas totes designed and provided in part by The Merch.
Calendar of Cheer
Buying local promotes a more vibrant community. In fact, 67 cents of every dollar spent at a local business stays in the community according to the Small Business Economic Impact Study by American Express. There are many opportunities to #BuyLocal in Carrboro this holiday season:
- Saturday, Nov 27: Small Business Saturday, an annual day to #ShopSmall. Pick up a complimentary #BuyLocal Swag Bag from the CBA booth at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market from 9-10am and start shopping local through the Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide,
- Monday, Nov 29: Local Cyber Monday. Join the CBA in making it Local Cyber Monday. Find several “One-click Wonders” in the Carrboro Cheer Gift Guide.
- Tuesday, Nov 30: Local Giving Tuesday. Join the CBA in making it Local Giving Tuesday. Find a local charity and make a donation.
- Saturday, Dec 4: The 15th Annual Elf Market, a holiday craft market coordinated by The ArtsCenter at University Place in Chapel Hill from 10am-5pm.
About Carrboro Cheer
The Carrboro Business Alliance (CBA) coordinates Carrboro Cheer, an annual initiative to spread cheer and support local Carrboro businesses during the holiday season. The 2021 Carrboro Cheer is presented by Carr Mill Mall with support from the Carrrboro Tourism Development Authority (VisitCarrboro.com). Carrboro Cheer kicks off on Small Business Saturday with a CBA table at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market and continues all season long, including promotion of local online purchases for Cyber Monday (11/29/21) and support for local charities on Giving Tuesday (11/30/21). A now signature component to Carrboro Cheer is the online Gift Guide, which features more than 70 curated local Carrboro gift ideas. Indeed, Carrboro Cheer is making it easy and fun to safely #ShopSmall, #BuyLocal, and spread Carrboro cheer this holiday season.
Other organizations are spreading Carrboro Cheer, including The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro, which is encouraging everyone to #ShopSmall on Small Business Saturday and #BuyLocal this holiday season, and Chapel Hill Media Group, which featured Carrboro Cheer and CBA Marketing Committee Chair Bridget Pemberton-Smith in a 97.9 The Hill radio interview, called “Shop Small and Buy Local!,” and Chapelboro.com reporter, Ava Pukatch, wrote ‘Local Love’: Carrboro, Chapel Hill Urge Shopping Small Business Saturday.
About the Carrboro Business Alliance
The Carrboro Business Alliance (CBA), founded in 2014 on the shared belief that "local matters," is now more than 100 local businesses collaborating to help Carrboro thrive. The CBA mission is to 1) connect members with information and customers, 2) promote members and the Carrboro community, and 3) represent local business interests with policy makers. Follow the CBA on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and join the conversation with #LocalMatters.
CBA Founding Funders
The success of the CBA was made possible by CBA Founding Champions: Carr Mill Mall, The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro, and the Town of Carrboro; and CBA Founding Investors: Atma Hotel Group, Carrboro Creative, Chapel Hill Tire, Coastal Credit Union, CommunityWorx, Duke Energy, Eller Capital Partners, I-40 Films, New Media Campaigns, Weaver Street Market, and Wrenn Works.
For questions, contact CBA staff support, Katie Loovis, at (919) 696-0781 (cell) or KLoovis@carolinachamber.org.