Boys & Girls Clubs of Durham and Orange Counties
Nonprofit Organizations Nonprofits Serving Youth
Mission Statement To inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens.
Program Description Since 1939, Boys & Girls Clubs of Durham and Orange Counties has provided academic enrichment, mentorship, character & leadership development, and healthy lifestyles programming that positively develop young people ages 6-18 and, in many cases, help youth to break out of the cycle of poverty. By providing a safe, engaging place for kids to go after school and during the summer, help with homework, STEM classes, nutritious meals, effective mentors, leadership training and college scholarships, Boys & Girls Clubs provides opportunities for all youth – especially those who need us most – to build the foundations of rewarding, self-sufficient lives.
The comparative data tell a powerful story. As compared to their youth peers, our Club Members:
- report higher grades,
- volunteer more often and more regularly,
- engage in more physical activity every week,
- observe better dietary practices,
- are less likely to engage in risky behaviors such as drug use, smoking, premature sexual activity and alcohol use.
By the numbers:
- For 8 consecutive years, BGCDOC youth have had zero negative contacts with law enforcement.
- For 8 consecutive years, there have been zero teenage pregnancies amongst BGCDOC youth.
- The high school graduation rate for BGCDOC youth is 92%, five percentage points above the North Carolina public high school average.
- Over the past five years, 77% of BGCDOC youth have raised their grades in at least one core subject area by one full letter grade or more.