CBA March 2020 Update: COVID-19 and Low-interest Loans
Memorandum to All Carrboro Business Alliance Members
From: Katie Loovis, CBA Staff Support
When: March 12, 2020
Subject: Important Updates for the Carrboro Business Alliance
- COVID-19: If you haven’t yet, here’s a list of 7 things local businesses should do RIGHT NOW to prepare for COVID-19, including tips on staffing, cashflow, and other matters.
- Small Business Loans: The US Small Business Administration (SBA) JUST ANNOUNCED targeted, low-interest loans to help small businesses and non-profits that have been severely impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) to overcome the temporary loss of revenue. It’s looks like a 3-step process, so get crackin’ now: Apply for an SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan.
- Health Care: As a member of the CBA, you and your employees and their families have FULL access to high-quality, low-cost health care that our Chamber negotiated for you with Piedmont Health. This includes $60 doctor visits and ~$10 for most generic meds, regardless of insurance status. Make sure your colleagues, especially hourly workers, know about this benefit: Get affordable health services.
- Transportation: The NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT) will be resurfacing East Main Street (Greensboro Street and Merritt Mill Road) this summer and the town is considering a conceptual plan to restripe the road in conjunction with the state project. The restriping would, among other things, allow for bike lanes and reduce the number of vehicular lanes. The CBA Policy Committee is tracking this project closely. Learn more and attend an upcoming public input session, and let me know if you have any feedback/concerns you would like the CBA to convey.
- Economic Development Report: Every month, the town’s economic development director, Annette Stone, presents a report on economic development in Carrboro. Read the March report now.
- March 17 - CBA Leadership Council Meeting: Every third Tuesday morning of the month, the CBA Leadership Council convenes to advance CBA priorities. Mayor Lydia Lavelle will join the council for the next meeting, on Tuesday, March 17. Learn more and let me know if you would like to sit-in on the discussion (*Note - subject to going video conference.)
- March 25 - Economic Outlook featuring Dr. Michael Walden: On Wednesday, March 25, renowned economist Dr. Michael Walden will deliver his economic forecast for our region, including adjusted predictions from COVID-19. Register now – this event is free for CBA members and will likely be a video conference.
- March 25 - CBA Marketing Committee: Every fourth Wednesday, the CBA Marketing Committee convenes to advance our PR priorities. Please let me know if you would like to sit-in on the next discussion. Learn more. (*Note - subject to going video conference.)
- March 26 - Town of Carrboro Business Community Meeting: The town is host a Business Community Meeting to discuss and receive feedback from local businesses on timely matters. Learn more.
- Follow the CBA on social media: twitter, facebook, Instagram, and youtube
- Watch our new videos: Funky Town and This is the CBA (hat tip I-40 Films)
- Meet your 2020 Leadership Council and review our shared priorities
- Encourage other local businesses to get involved and join the CBA!
As always, thank you to the CBA Founding Funders:
- CBA Founding Champions: Carr Mill Mall, The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro, and the Town of Carrboro
- CBA Founding Investors: Atma Hotel Group, Carrboro Creative, Chapel Hill Tire, Coastal Credit Union, CommunityWorx, Duke Energy, Eller Capital Partners, I-40 Films, New Media Campaigns, Weaver Street Market, and Wrenn Works
For questions, contact Katie Loovis, Staff Support, Carrboro Business Alliance, m: (919) 696-0781 | KLoovis@carolinachamber.org